Times Online - Best of 2005

After a long while, I eventually made my way to my drinking well. Well, the locals call it a champagne bar. I have been conscious of how superficial the place can be at times.

What struck me last night was the humility and how people were ready to help. The tsunami, with all the misery it wrought has struck a chord across cultures. People everywhere want to help, and are prepared to do so.

I was literally challenged to sort out the HIV/AIDS issue in Africa, particularly Zambia. I do not pretend to be a saviour, but I'd like to think I can do something about our predicament. For a start let's welcome the assistance that is being showered and one day, perhaps, we can return the favour. In the meantime, let's all ponder on this The Best of 2005:

"It's your holiday - so why should you spend it saving the planet? Because it's fun. Yes, responsible travel can open up a whole world of new adventures. Brian Schofield and Matt Rudd report on how and why it's worth being worthy"

0 comments: