The Quiet War Over Open-Source

A lot of people have herad or probably used Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. We have discussed previously how we at Sossa can destribute all the valuable information garnered on this community into the mainstream. I think the Wiki is the answer.
 
I read an article by Dan Gillmor on Grassroots Journalism in which he explains:
 
For the first time in two decades I'm not on the payroll of a large media corporation. As of today I'm on the payroll of a one-person company, comprised of me, but media is still on my agenda.

As many of you know I'm going to work hard on a project to inspire, enable and create what many have been calling a new kind of journalism. In the new world that I and many others believe is coming, the grassroots will have a fundamental and crucial role in the process -- a change that I tried to outline in my book, We the Media, which appeared in the second half of 2004.

And I received an email from an editor from Wikipedia, the full content of which is outlined below:
 
Contributing news articles about African nations is often difficult due to there being less news sources (especially ones available online, and possible to read outside the country). I've gone ahead and written a sample article in that category -- hopefully those following links from your blog will see it and get inspired to post more. Ilya
Also, I came across a this blog http://yewo.blogspot.com in which the  blogger stated:
 
In my spare time, I've been contributing to Wikipedia's open-source travel guide. http://wikitravel.org/en/article/Zambia
 
I do not know about the rest of the people on Sossa community, this highlights a very exciting development in information transfer and sourcing. The Open Source Movement is gaining tremendous momentum, The quiet war over open-source.
 
The Zambian culture of proprietary approach should  be turned upside down. The bunker mentality that is so common amongst Zambians needs to be revised. Sharing or collaborating is the new and fashionable way to do things. What this means is that information is shared and distributed through open source channels that are not owned, restricted or choked by self-interest groups. Everyone has their finger on the pulse.
 
In the article  Collaborating For Success, I highlighted the importance of networking by stating:
Are you willing to collaborate? Perhaps the question is, can you afford not to?

The ways in which people in companies work together and the ways
companies think and do business are undergoing radical and unavoidable
changes. What was once a business approach based on guarded and proprietary information available only to a select few people within an organization has become a business approach based on the need to collaborate – both inside and outside the four walls of an enterprise.

Five years ago, just like Dan Gilmore, I decided to walk the talk. It has been a bumpy ride, nevertheless very exciting and enriching in experience. This year marks my fifth year of running my own business. This is a victory, not just for me, but for all the friends and people who have contributed through advice, criticism, contributions and otherwise.

The path is now paved for a major push to make a difference and make a lasting mark. Together we can make it.

 


0 comments: