Moving On

I was on my way home the other night being too tired to wait for a bus, I decided to use a Taxi. The taxi driver asked for my destination and I replied "Twickenham green". There was a brief silence while in the taxi and then suddenly he mentioned that it is not a good idea to mention Twickenham Green these days. He said this in reference to The evil that resides somewhere near home.

I couldn't help wondering wether this was the main reason I cannot get a hot date nowadays. Even longtime female friends are relunctant to visit me, instead they insist I travel to see them.

A few sundays ago I attended a moving and well-attended public service that was held on Twickenham Green on as a tribute to murdered student Amlie Delagrange.

Rev Mike Starkey from Holy Trinity Church captured the mood perfectly when he spoke of people wanting to "reclaim the green" for the community.

Until that fateful month, Twickenham Green was a pleasant triangle of open space frequented by dog walkers, people taking a short cut between the Hampton Road and Staines Road sides (I happen to live on Staines Road), and others taking their leisure out in the fresh air.

Then on August 19 a dreadful atrocity took place. A young woman, a guest in this country from overseas, was brutally slain by an unknown maniac who had, police believe, been lurking in wait for a random victim.

Understandably, the attack has caused enormous distress in the community. The principal reactions were outrage and sadness at the loss of Amlie, sympathy for her family and fear of further attacks.

The strength of feeling was symbolised by the huge pile of flowers which accumulated on the Green.

However, a few weeks have gone by and Twickenham Green must now move on.

0 comments: