the iPod people.

During my youth, I attended church services regularly. One sermon, particularly,has stuck with me. The evangelical preacher was describing how one can spot a selfish person. "Just watch the number of times the "I" is used when they speak", He said.

The Times Online's Andrew Sullivan puts it bluntly Society is dead, we have retreated into the iWorld:
"You get your news from your favourite blogs, the ones that won't challenge your view of the world. You tune into a satellite radio service that also aims directly at a small market - for new age fanatics, liberal talk or Christian rock. Television is all cable. Culture is all subculture. Your cell phones can receive e-mail feeds of your favourite blogger's latest thoughts - seconds after he has posted them - get sports scores for your team or stock quotes of your portfolio. "

I plead guilty! I have reached a stage where, as Andrew Sullivan says,
"Technology has given us a universe entirely for ourselves — where the serendipity of meeting a new stranger, hearing a piece of music we would never choose for ourselves or an opinion that might force us to change our mind about something are all effectively banished".

My first post on this blog was about serendipity, I wrote: my quest for the unknown will be less gruesome and and a lot more technical.

I guess that we have just found a way of getting want we want without the bruising experience of convincing biased, prejudiced or self-interest peddling morons.

To my preacher, I'd like to say that "i" stands for inter-connectivity!

0 comments: